Tuesday, January 03, 2023

pocket 2022 dump v1

 persistence > perfection

failing > not trying

discipline > motivation

active reading > passive consumption 

single task > multi task

one deep read > many shallow reads

handwriting > typing

speak > silence


4. Authenticity: work/life balance

"I know from habit research that the lure of technology, that really quick dopamine hit you get when you have a new notification, is one of the hardest to overcome. It depletes willpower the fastest.”  -Urban “Dopamine is really about the anticipation of an event. It’s about seeking, not enjoying. So when that notification pops up – whether it’s the best news in the world, or the most annoying – all your brain knows is there’s something new you can divert your attention to. And when you’re feeling stressed or disconnected, you’re especially susceptible to this.”

“The curious paradox,” wrote the psychologist Carl Rogers, “is that when I accept myself just as I am – then I can change.”

And is there one simple limit you can set during this part of your day? For example, I have a boundary in the morning that I don’t check my phone before my routine is done. So I have a cold shower, work out, do a little meditation, and make myself breakfast. Then I start my day. I think those are the kinds of self-boundaries that can be helpful with working from home.”


So, it would be nice to have a morning habit.

I wake up, I dont touch my phone. Go make breakfast, work out, do devotion, meditate.. work starts at 8am. check the phone then. Work ends at 5pm, stop checking after that. if they wanted something done the next day, they should have planned it ahead.

A war is coming

brain doesn't do well with too much new information (the flaw as per Pantheon series).

improve brain: Dance, Instrument, foreign language, chess, read more of less, hand write

learning: say out loud,  test yourself, space out learning, handwrite, change the way, exercise, interleaving (learn different things in succession) , teach others, associative learning (build upon what you already know),

sleep in blocks of  1 and a half hours. either 1.5, 3, 6 hours... dont sleep 7 you'll wake up in the middle of a cycle. 7.5 is good.


focus on changing your mindset. Try counting your blessings before you fall asleep. It sounds cheesy, but research shows that the simple act of writing down three to five things you’re grateful for each day can significantly boost your wellbeing in as little as two weeks. Another positive mindset shift involves becoming more present. Research by Harvard psychologist Dan Gilbert and colleagues shows that no matter what we’re doing, we’re usually happier when we’re paying attention. So why not commit to boosting your presence with a few minutes of meditation every morning? Finally, consider switching from a selfish me-me-me mindset to one that’s a bit more focused on others. Study after study shows that people are happier when they’re helping people in need.

people who are self-compassionate eat better, exercise more and are happier with their bodies. They also procrastinate less and bounce back more resiliently after failures.

ON MAKING CHOICES

1. Zero in on what really matters

2. Don't dwell on the small choices

3. Decide as much as you can in advance

4. Get a second (and third, 4th) opinion for the big stuff

5. Be mindful of your emotions, timing of making choies

6. Be thoughtful about how you use pros and cons lists

7. Think of decisions as opportunities

.8 choose your regrets, we can't do everything




No comments: